Monday, May 31, 2010

I Cloud Nine When I Want To

My oldest kid is done with 3rd grade. Wow! I remember those summer days when I was up about 8am, poured some cereal and was gone from 8:30am until it got dark, which seemed to be around 10pm even in late August. Swatting mosquitoes, hanging on the corner of Packard and Cadillac with my best friend in the whole world (with whom I've only spoken once in about the last fifteen years.), and riding my red Schwinn with the glittery red banana seat all over Akron. Every day lasted a year. I wonder how my daughter's gonna view these days when she's in her teens and 20s and 30s and 40s (Those summer days...)

I remember the girls who came to visit their grandparents or cousins for a week in June (Hi, hi, hi, hi there.)

I always made sure I wore my very coolest pants and shirt on the last day of school, and my afro was the biggest it could be. (Out of school, yeah.)

There was always one of those traveling amusement park near-death-traps in the parking lot of Clarkins (County fair in the country sun.)

And every thing was cool. Ooh yeah!

So I'm watching her grow really tall. She still acts a little young, but her best friend is going to middle school next year, so maybe she'll pull my daughter a little closer to being a tweenager or they'll stop seeing each other everyday, like what happened when my older friend went to junior high. (Bye, bye, bye, bye there.)

Hot fun in the summer time!

No comments: